Review - Silent Mobius

This will be a collecting point for my past anime reviews and future reviews. Please note that there will be the inevitable time references in these as they have been lifted from my old LiveJournal (I'll keep the existing ones there for now)

Review - Silent Mobius

Postby mistie710 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:59 am

I should point out that I have yet to watch the movies, but I've waded through the 26 episodes of the TV series.

Katsumi Liqueur (I really hope I got the name right) is coming to Japan at the invitation of a mysterious person called Rally to find out about her parents, especially her father. Apparently, her father was heavily involved in the incident known as the "Silent Crisis" that caused massive worldwide devastation, as well as allowing creatures known as "Lucifer Hawk" to invade. These creatures look on humanity in the same way as humanity views cattle, inasmuch as they slaughter and eat humans. The upshot is that she is invited to become part of a new police group known as Department 00, or AMP.

However, during the series, we find out that Katsumi didn't find out everything about herself and her bloodline in that first meeting, and some of the facts that come out along the way cause her a lot of grief, ultimately leading to tragedy when she finally meets up with the creature that was really behind all the carnage and devastation, Ganossa Maximilian.

The animation is hardly anything to write home about, indeed it gets a little sloppy in places, but it is bearable, though a later episode features a monster that, presumably in tribute to its sheer size, was animated in what looks like claymation in some scenes! The story is also a little predictable, though not unpleasantly so. Some of the story is certainly cyberpunk, other parts are pure swords and sorcery. As far as the charas go, Kiddy could easily have been directly lifted from Geena Malso (AD Police OAV), Yuki is a little like a grown up version of Sasami (Tenchi-Muyo), Nami is a bit like a cross between Motoko from Love Hina and Belldandy from Oh My Goddess and Katsumi herself reminded me heavily of Sakaki (Azumanga Daioh) though obviously you may consider these as guides rather than any evidence of plagiarism.

It has been a very long time since I last read the manga, but I enjoyed the anime.
mistie710
Site Admin

Return to Anime Reviews From Hell