Review-chan - The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya

This will be a collecting point for my past anime reviews and future reviews. Please note that there will be the inevitable time references in these as they have been lifted from my old LiveJournal (I'll keep the existing ones there for now)

Review-chan - The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya

Postby mistie710 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:42 am

Hang on! Didn't I already do this?!?

No, this is slightly different. It appears that Kadokawa has been doing a series of SD parodies of the series. What is more, they are even putting them out with subs for us poor non-Japanese speakers! As I write this, there are now eight in the series (possibly more to come?), all based around the same charas as the main series, with a few variations. One of these is the reappearance of Asakura (you know, the one that tried to off Kyon in the original series just to see if it would get Haruhi going) but in miniature form to be tortured by Nagato (well, not exactly, but humiliation might be considered a form of torture!)

All sorts of stories feature, from a closed space "dream" to a cultural festival where the SOS Brigade are nice to oni! I said that the original series included a fair slice of humour, and this extra series brings that out even more! It was available to view on YouTube on the KADOKAWAnime channel (I believe that it has since been taken down).

While I mention it, another side story based on a four panel series based on Haruhi-chan is Nyoron Churuya-san, available from the same place but somewhat different in style as Tsuruya becomes the smoked cheese addict Churuya. At the time of writing, there are four of these, mostly surrounding Churuya's never ending quest for smoked cheese and what she goes through at the hands of the SOS Brigade. I could say more but somebody pressed my silent mode button... buuuuzzzz... buuuuzzzz... buuuuzzzz....

P.S. Since writing this review, Kadokawa and Kyoto Animation have been busily churning out more of these nuggets, including an extra long 25th episode of Haruhi-chan which features an updated title sequence.
mistie710
Site Admin

Return to Anime Reviews From Hell